Friday, May 4, 2012

Fantastic Film Friday


One of my all time favorites is Sophia Coppola's 2003 film, Lost in Translation. It has so many elements that appeal to me:
  • Bill Murray (my favorite funny-man)
  • Scarlett Johansson (my favorite smart-sexy actress)
  • An exotic locale (I have never been to Japan so it is exotic and foreign to me) 
  • Awesome music (this is where I first discovered the band Phoenix...download 'Too Young') 
There is a quiet subtlety to the film that makes you connect with the characters and feel their experience in such a foreign culture. There are so many funny little differences between Japanese and North American life that prove amusing and confusing for both the protagonists and the viewer. The relationship that develops between the protagonists is one of understanding and familiarity with their feelings of being lost. I find this age-defying relationship charming especially in comparison to those is other films such as, Harold and Maude, which honestly I found rather unsettling. So, check out Lost in Translation if you haven't previously or watch it again (as I will for probably the 25th time). It isn't fast paced or action packed, but it is an interesting and sincere portrayal of two troubled people at very different stages in their lives.

Don't you just love her stylish pink bob??!!

Check out more great stills after the jump.













No comments: