I just finished watching the second episode of the new HBO series Girls. I feel like I am still forming a full opinion about the show, but so far it is intriguing.
What I Like:
- the fact that the stars Girls are not your typical stick-thin glamazons that are so often seen in most shows. These are girls all have their own look and style, real bodies and non-altered features. They are also not wearing all the hottest trends off the runway...and so they shouldn't be, as they are only 22-24 years old and are supposedly supporting themselves.
- the writing is witty, but is not trying to hard to be drop dead funny. The subject matter often revolves around serious life issues (finding a job, relationships, abortions etc), but cleverly mixes in enough humour to not be too depressing.
- so far, I find the characters believable. I can relate to the girl who has been dating the really nice guy since she was a teenager, but realizes that she is still young and wants more and unfortunately is becoming bored with her relationship. I was that girl. I can also related to the awkward sex as I think that most women have encountered this as well. I will spare you details, but you all know that sometimes things are just weird or "not-working" out well.
- I must also give props to Lena Dunham who is not only the star, but also created the show and directs, writes and produces it. Oh, and she is only 25...I feel so unaccomplished now.
- I am not sure if there is anything that I blatantly don't like about the show. I don't really enjoy the unbearably awkward and uncomfortable sex scenes between the main character and the ill-mannered hipster that she is seeing. However, I get it. It is a bad scenario and she needs to realize it. I think many women have been there (well, maybe not right where she is, but you get what I mean) and can relate.
Have you watched Girls? If so, what did you think? I would love to hear your thoughts!