Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Cooking with Jill: Warm Sausage and Potato Salad

A couple weeks ago, Will and I went to his grandparent's place for dinner. Before leaving their place, Will's grandpa insisted that we take some of his home grown vegetables. He gave us a couple very full bags of zucchini, beets, onions and potatoes. I found the potatoes in our cupboard on Sunday and figured that I better do something with them before they go bad. Since it was a nice summery day, I decided on potato salad. I wanted to try something different that wasn't just a side dish but rather a meal. I went with a recipe that I found on foodnetwork.ca, Emily Richard's Warm Sausage and Potato Salad. I made a few adjustments, and I have to say that it was delicious. My husband agrees too! So I shall share my recipe with you....

Warm Sausage and Potato Salad
-> Emily Richard (with adjustments from Jill!)

Preparation time: 5 minutes 
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6 (Will and I ate it for dinner and then lunch the next day)

Ingredients

  • 3 fresh chorizo or spicy Italian sausage (I used fresh chorizo from Market Meats...so good)
  • 3 pounds new red potatoes (I used a mixture of red and white potatoes)
  • 1/2 cup slivered oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
  • 3 tablespoons capers, drained
  • 1/2 cup white balsamic or wine vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato oil (I used the oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes)
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or basil (I used about 3 tablespoons of fresh basil, but no oregano)
  • I added about 2 tablespoons of shredded mixed Italian cheese. 
  • I also added about half a small red onion

Directions

  1. In pot of boiling salted water, cook potatoes for 20 minutes or until tender. (I quartered my potatoes before cooking them so they would cook faster) Drain and let cool; cut in half, or quarter if large. Place in bowl. Add tomatoes and capers.
  2. Place sausages on greased grill over medium-high heat, close lid and grill until no longer pink inside, about 15 minutes. (Once the sausages were cooked, I tossed the red onion in the same pan and grilled it in olive oil) Slice and add to potato mixture.
  3. Whisk together vinegar, olive oil, sun-dried-tomato oil, mustard, salt and pepper; toss with potato mixture. Let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with oregano. (I used basil instead of oregano)
 The Result!
(I kinda forgot to photograph the salad before serving...so above is a picture of about half of it)

1 comment: