Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas Recipe: Chocolate Dipped Shortbread




Last night I made my mom's recipe for shortbread. I told Will that I was making shortbread and he seemed less than impressed (apparently, he had never had my mom's shortbread!). So, to make the shortbread even more enticing for him, I dipped half of each cookie in chocolate!

Result: extremely positive!! I think the cookies look like little Japanese dolls. Will thinks they look like Beatles. I can see that.

Recipe:

(Yields 2 dozen cookies)

1 cup of Butter
2/3 cup of Brown Sugar
2 cups of Flour

Cream butter until light and fluffy.
Add brown sugar and mix until thoroughly blended.
Gradually add flour until fully blended.

Roll into 6-8 inch tubes approx 2 inches wide and chill for 1 hour. I wrap mine in wax or parchment paper. Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Once chilled, unwrap from paper and let sit for a few minutes to let the dough soften a little. Then, slice the tubes into 1/4 inch wide cookies and set on cookie sheet. Bake for 18-20 mins or until golden.

As for the chocolate:

Melt 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips over a double boiler. Once melted, dip cooled cookies in the chocolate and set on wax or parchment paper. I then placed mine in the freezer for about 10 mins to set the chocolate.

No comments: