Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Music I Love: A Tribe Called Quest




Let it be known that I am one the least gangster gals on the planet. Will makes fun of me whenever I attempt to listed to rap/hip-hop etc. Fortunately for myself and the world I don't really listen to a ton of rap, hip-hop etc. However, there is one group in particular that I make exception to, A Tribe Called Quest. Their brand of hip-hop is quite lyrical and features a myriad of different instruments creating a distinctly jazzy backgroud sound. Every time I hear them I get swept away to a hot sticky summer day on the streets of Brooklyn (or at least what I imagine it to look like as I have not been there yet). I think much of this imagery comes from the films KIDS and The Wackness. Both films are set in the mid-nineties and include A Tribe Called Quest in their soundtracks among other similarly slow groovy (my description) hip-hop. KIDS was actually released in 1995 while the Wackness was released in 2008 but set in the summer of 1994.

Some of my fav A Tribe Called Quest tracks:
"Check the Rhime"
"Can I Kick It"
"Luck of Lucien" (featuring some awesomely bad french)
"Scenario" feat. Busta Rhymes
"Electric Relaxation"

Also, my favorite Beastie Boys track "Ill Communication" features Q-Tip from Tribe.


The Wackness (2008)


Kids (1995)

No comments: