Monday, July 19, 2010

Film I love: "Inception"





This past weekend Will and I saw Christopher Nolan’s new film ‘Inception’. As soon as I saw the posters for it while waiting in line to see Iron Man 2 I was intrigued. Then I saw the trailers and was even more intrigued. I had a general idea of the premise of the film; there are spy-like people in the future that can go into people’s dreams. Essentially, that was what the film was about and so much more. I won’t ruin if for those of your who have not seen it but I was fully impressed with the cast, story and cinematography.

The cinematography throughout the film was breathtaking. The dream scene that takes place in Paris with Leonardo Dicaprio and Ellen Page is awe-inspiring and similar to a an M.C. Escher drawing. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's scene that took place in the hotel hallway was particularly mind boggling and flawlessly filmed. I was so intrigued as to how it was even possible to film it that I had to google it when I got home. If you are intersted, here is what i found. I am so glad that Nolan chose not to jump on the 3D bandwagon. This film did not need it and I think it would have just made a great film a little cheesey and overdone.



The cast was essentially perfect. It is great to see actors slip into their appropriate characters so well. It is also refreshing to see female parts played so well by skilled actresses that can be more than just eye-candy. Marion Cotillard was beautiful as usual but also very skilled and often terrifying. While Ellen Page definitely held her own among many seasoned actors. I am also so happy to see that Joseph Gordon-Levitt has made such a great comeback. I really enjoyed him on Third Rock from the Sun and am glad to see that he has the skills and lasting power to transition into adult acting and not just indie roles (not that I don't appreciate those too!). Leo was great as usual and will likely get another Oscar nomination that he will not win...I think the Academy hates him but don't worry Leo, I think you're a winner! The rest of the supporting cast (Cillian Murphy, Ken Wantanabe and Dileep Rao) are fantastic as well.

Go see it and let Nolan take you an his amazing psychological journey.

No comments: