Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Film Reviews


So, something that most people who know me personally can likely tell you is that I am a huge fan of films. I can usually find movies that I love in all genres. So, I figured that occasionally I can supply a movie review or two (or three...etc). So lets get the ball rolling:

The Young Victoria

This is definitely a girly film but it is by no means cheesy. Ever since I was a child I have had a fascination with the British royals. I never really dreamed of being a princess (as I have always been a realist to a fault) but instead was simply fascinated by the idea of a country having a real life modern-day monarchy. The Young Victoria not only furthered my interest and intrigue with the royals but also painted a picture of two fairly believable people who simply happened to be (or become) royals.

Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend plays the roles of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert both beautifully and sincerely. One of the most interesting things about this union was the fact that they truly shared a strong romantic love for each other despite the convenience of their marriage. This makes the film all the more endearing. Paul Bettany is also wonderful as Lord Melbourne and Jim Broadbent amuses with his endearing characterization of the aging King William.

The flowing gowns are gorgeous but what really caught my eye was the men's attire. I love the long leggy look of the 19th century dandy. These men had style from their cigarette style pants to their perfectly knotted scarves. They also had fantastic hair. The film is worth checking out just for the costumes alone.

I would suggest seeing this film in theater to fully enjoy the amazing outdoor and indoor settings as well as the fabulous costumes.

Visit the official site for The Young Victoria.

No comments: